Remember when you were fifteen and thirty just seemed soooooo old?
Then in your twenties thirty started looming closer and closer and it still seemed kind of old.
Then these Resource Girls turned thirty and all of the sudden thirty seemed really young.
Funny how things change.
We decided that people don't embrace their age enough. Why are we always trying to change who we are? Look younger, change our appearance, add a filter, and disguise our age? We have to say we've been guilty of these things too, however, as time goes on we're truly embracing who are we, even our age. Now ask us on our fortieth birthdays and we might be singing a different tune. JK!
Thirty has brought with it lots of surprises, love and loss, a few pounds extra here and there, a few pounds lost, countless memories but mostly a lot of lessons learned and endless reasons to be thankful.
Oh, and unfortunately a few grey hairs here and there.
Things we now know at thirty, that we didn't at twenty ||
- We still get acne. I mean is this not the biggest disappointment? At THIRTY you still will have a zit pop up here and there. Why didn't anyone warn us?!
- Sleep is important like whoa! LC has always been good about getting sleep, Cat on the other hand was working night shifts, going to work out in the morning, waking up early to run to and fro, and basically being a crazy person. Regardless, we are no longer sacrificing our sleep. Your to-do list can wait, you laundry will still be there in the morning, read a book and go to bed!
- Bright lipstick is a must have. Nothing says boss lady like lip gloss that be poppin'! Sometimes, even at thirty, you need that extra boost of confidence and a strong bold lip is just one way to say, "I'm here and I mean business!"
- A gym membership is a non-negotiable. Get on some kind of fitness routine, even if it's once or twice a week - do something! News flash, every year you get older your metabolism slows down. Why didn't someone tell us that at thirty when you have a lapse in judgment and think Taco Bell is a good idea you can see it on your hips on Monday? Like we said - get movin'!
- Don't own other people's crap! When people are being weird, jealous or rude it's most likely their own issue and has nothing to do with you. That would have been helpful to know going through college.
- You're never too old to get a piercing or tattoo. We got our noses pierced at twenty-nine and looked at each other like are we too old for this? NEVER! Living on the wild side every once in awhile keeps you young. Something you've been wanting for a long time - a pixie cut, a tattoo, a belly button piercing, a purple streak in your hair? Get after it and do you!
- Laugh at Yourself. We try never to take ourselves too seriously, life is too short for that business. We send ourselves snaps on the regular of all of our funny mis-haps and faux pas. For example, wearing our dirty gym clothes a second day, forgetting to put deodorant on, not washing our hair for four days in a row, wearing a top knot for a week straight, having eggs and wine for dinner, cuddling with our pet on Friday night while binge watching Grey's reruns, choosing to wear a beanie instead of showering, neglecting a pedicure and opting for close toed shoes. Oops, that's life and that's reality folks. We, just like you, don't always have it together but we're not even worried about it. We think perfection is kind of boring anyways.
The most important thing we've learned at thirty is that life is nothing if you don't have someone to confess to. What good is it to have confessions but then not have anyone to tell?!
Life is too short to not let your true colors show, laugh at yourself, and reflect on what you've learned.
We couldn't be more thankful for each other and how our paths have crossed and changed but then always stayed the same too. Don't have a sister or best friend? We challenge you to be real and open to someone you trust even if it's something funny. Test it out on a co-worker or even your boss, you may just be surprised how far a little genuineness and openness will make you feel.
If you want to confess to us, we're open to that too! What are some things you've learned that have helped you embrace your age? We'd love to hear!