This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. It was always my mom’s go-to at family birthday parties and holidays. It’s super simple and we haven’t met anyone that didn’t like it! I always get nervous bringing a dish to big parties but this is fool proof. I recently brought it to my first family gathering since I moved back home and lets just say I carried home an empty dish. This cake is definitely not vegan but does the trick if you’re in a pinch and responsible to bring dessert to any summer BBQ. We always say 80% healthy, 20% fun so this cake will definitely fall under the 20% fun category. The only thing to remember is to make this the night before because it needs to sit in the fridge overnight.
- 12oz. Cool Whip (There’s not a 12oz container, so you have to buy two smaller containers or a 16oz. container and not use it all)
- 2 4oz. boxes of vanilla instant pudding (Make sure to buy instant, not the “cook and serve” pudding. It doesn’t have the same consistency) Confession, one time my mom bought banana instant pudding instead of vanilla and it didn’t quite taste the same, so pay attention to the pudding box and you can’t go wrong!
- 1 box of Honeymaid graham crackers
- 1 container of chocolate frosting
- 3 cups of milk (almond milk works too)
Make sure Cool Whip is thawed
Mix both instant pudding packets with 3 cups of milk and whisk until thickened.
Fold in Cool Whip to pudding mixture.
Layer 9X13 baking dish with graham crackers, spread half of the pudding mix over crackers.
Top that layer with graham crackers and the rest of the pudding mix and top off with graham crackers.
Cover dish and leave in refrigerator overnight.
Before serving melt chocolate and drizzle over graham crackers or frost like a regular cake. Frosting like a usual cake uses more frosting. I prefer just drizzling frosting on top and smoothing out frosting with a spoon (pictured below), it’s plenty.
- Optional add a little fruit on top.
We're not quite sure how it's already Memorial Day weekend but fear not when you're in charge of dessert for that family picnic. This chocolate eclair cake will not disappoint!
These Resource Girls are headed to Wisconsin today for LC's wedding, happening this weekend!
We plan to have our cake and eat it too, along with some wine and champagne but that goes without saying. We're taking a week off here at RG to celebrate and let LC bask in her wedding glow. But we'll be back in full force in June. Hope you all enjoy the holiday weekend!